In Maastricht on 5 June 1950, the ‘deed of foundation’ for establishing the Hotel School was attested by the notary A.F. Derks. The starting capital was exactly 500 guilders (€ 226.89). The Hotel School officially opened about 4 months later on 28 September.
The courses were taught in a hotel: the Grand Hôtel du Lévrier et de l’Aigle Noir on the Boschstraat in Maastricht. This was handy as it enabled the students to immediately put theory into practice. In those days, the programme lasted three years and was open to about one hundred students, all of whom were male.